Sunday, July 31, 2005

A Sabbath Day thought...


[I'm making this a 3-part post, please bear that in mind as you read down the line]
I made it to church today. (Yay!)
So glad I did.
The talks were thought-provoking-good, my Sunday school class, with the youth, actually felt 'inspired', and there was a pot luck lunch afterward.
I was gonna skip it and c'mon home... (I forgot and didn't make anything!) but... those pot lucks are always SO, so worth while, for a couple different reasons!
Reason #1: Excellent food. (i.e. This one had: Homegrown, vine ripened cherry tomatoes... and that greenbean casserole everyone loves to see around the holidays - ?know what I mean? - That showed up today with homegrown, tender young green beans as the premier ingredient! Um-um! Loads of quality stuff.)
Reason #2: You don't have to dirty up the kitchen at home!
Reason #3: Sample other peoples recipes. There's good home cooking all over this country and the "Heartland" is no exception to da rule!
So I munched my lunch there. (I'll make 2 contributions next time...)
My real incentive to stay was giving an elderly member a ride to the grocery and then home.
Her son pulled up in the parking-lot as I was trying to sneak off early and begged the favor of a ride for his Mother from me.
Hey, I'm in a church parking lot and we were talking about one of my favorite fellow church goers! What could I say, but "Okay." "You talked me into it." "I'll do that for you."
It was going to be something simple for me, especially now that I have working breaks, people, but something difficult for this older woman to just get out and do any ol' time. 100+ degree heat. We were both thankful for A/C! ... and the son? He had an 'ox-in-the-mire' situation he needed to attend to... hummm.... service is a good thing.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

and by the way...I'm still waiting for that "Grandma's Lemon Cake" ... next time you're in North Cackalackie I guess....now I'm going outside to kick a can around....

Paul said...

Other people's cooking is great. The PTA at an elementary school where I used to work used to hold an "International Night" every year. That day, they'd bring in lunch for the teachers.

Lucky for us, it was an extremely diverse neighborhood, and there was food from all over the world. Your plate would be full of little samples of all kinds of things, but still you hadn't tried half of it...

Libby said...

you're nice, dorko!!
LibbY!

MomThatsNuts said...

I love that your so OUT THERE with your beliefs. Your an inspiration to those of us hiding in the shadows......

Mom

1 Corinthians 12:31

... covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.