Friday, July 08, 2005

Loon E. Tick


.
How 'bout a version of the that thespian symbol ~ the masks ~ Comedy and Tragedy.
I stirred the initial idea up with a bunch of "stuff": an image from an Elton John LP cover, a residual (mental) imprint from the song "Moon shadow", from back in the day, when Cat Stevens was Cat Stevens.
.
What a week... Monday I'm watching the Fireworks and thinking, "This is the best use of gunpowder I know of!" by yesterday, Thursday, we're all watching London and I'm thinking, "This is the worst use of gunpowder I know of!"
.
That ancient fact of life: That there must needs be an opposition in all things, is a bitter pill to swallow sometimes. Looking over scripture I see that the trial of faith is a theme running steadily throughout. Genesis has its images of the tree of life... and the tree of knowledge of good and evil; jump to the beatitudes where Jesus admonishes the faithful to... Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them that despitefully use you, and persecute you...
.
I wrote awhile back about the personal commandment for me to not only pray but to "study carefully that which you should pray for. " I said at the time that I'd write more on it later... seems like now is later!
It is so very difficult to do, this commandment.
Yet I've had my "fun" with it as well!
A former fiancee asked me, once, after a messy, bitter break-up, if I was praying for him. He got rather testy when the answer was "yes" and demanded that I "stop!"... I simply said that I could not... when he demanded to know why, [!?] ~ I quoted that bit of scripture to him, saying my bible tells me that I am to pray for 'them which despitefully use [me] and persecute [me]!'
THAT shut him up! ~ Hehehee.
(Dang. I may have to repent, someday, for that one!)
Hang it all up!
If only it could be that simple, that easy, to deal with the 'oppressors that dispise this world, and trust in oppression and perverseness, and stay thereon'... <-[Isaiah]
.
I think, an important point to remember, and one point, that fellow, I just mentioned, kept reminding me of ~ (matter of fact the last thing he reminded me of, just before his suicide) ~ is from Ephesians 6:12 ...
...For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...
.
Just Sux, big time, when it's the flesh and the blood paying the price! Most especially sucky, is the thought that INNOCENT, or at the least unsuspecting, flesh and blood are paying the price. Talk about infuriating. I know it gets me going that way.
Now, just seems like a good time to be praying ~ more than ever... for a lot of different people who continually strive to fight that good fight ~ standing in harms way... and for even more healing to come into the world. The medical community, those that care for all the injured flesh and blood, need our prayers, too. ...and ... well I loathe to say it, but the idiots with the explosives ~ could they need our ferverant prayer more than anyone else?... never know! Maybe next time they'll self destruct ... or at least the driving force of evil, darkness and hate will!!! Oh! God willing, if that could just be so! ...and along those lines it's an act of God that will bring me to my knees to do that prayerful work... there are times when I seem to need his guiding hand every minute of every hour, of every day... yesterday was like that and the most prevalent thought cruising through my mind all day, to the point it became almost mantra like??? ~ It was this: "Be not weary of doing good."
[Dorko bangs head against her file cabinet; I'm being prompted to say I'll have more on that later, too! *sheesh!*]
.
... He maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust....
.
Will we always find the cost of freedom buried in the ground?
.
Galatians 6:9
.
Love, people and love some more! ~ Dorko



16 comments:

Burfica said...

Amen Dorko

When everything looks bleak, it's prayer that helps us find the light.

Paul said...

Personally, I've found contemplative prayer - much less popular than petitionary prayer - more compelling and spiritually helpful.

Guess I can never figure out why God should pay special attention to my troubles, just cause I ask nice, when, for example, 30,000 kids die every day around the world from malnutrition and preventable diseases.

Mona said...

Dorko, these are some of the biggest toughest tasks and lessons in life. I hear ya'.

Great drawing...I'm so impressed.

Libby said...

Thanks for the thoughts, Dorko! Amen, also! That's a great drawing, too! when did you do that?
BoUnCeS!! LibbY!

Live, Love, Laugh said...

Great Post, lots to think about!

Julie said...

love begets love and violence begets violence...
the usa and england haven't been peaceful nations as i would have wished they would be.. you can't win peace with war.. not that it's ok what happned in london.. but all i'm saying is we can't expect peace when we do violent acts ourselves...

Alekx said...

All I keep thinking is it was a mistake to piss off the brits.
But I guess time will tell on that.

Great post sweets.

DLAK said...

Jim Morrison said "you cannot petition the lord with prayer".
If you believe in God dont you have to accept that God let those people die? I dont know, I'm just asking.
Nice drawing, how long did it take?

Dorko said...

Burfica ~ always holding you and yours close in mine!

Paul ~ Great comment! Good points to ponder... all the prayers I've ever said or heard have been good for me, except maybe the "Hey! God!? That big bully over there is a scum-sucking pig. Go git him, put the hurt on him, for me." I gave up on that one. (That just never seemed to work for me)
However, the more benevolent 'petitionary', are very popular at my house because they're so dang useful temporaly! (They do always seem to workout for me)
Hmmm. Wondering... Why wouldn't God pay special attention to your troubles, Paul, when for example, you can draw closer to him & go about doing good ~ stuff that could ultimately result in some of those kids getting food and medicine?
What if, for instance, the entire city you live in, observed the law of the fast? Obstain from a couple meals on a regular basis, giving the $$ they'd have spent on food to those poor kids? What if this became a once a month thing? Would people in your city soften to what it's like to be hungry, to go without, be more thankful for what they do have, make an impact on the 30,000?
What if just you and I did it?
I dunno how far reaching we'd be, but I do know I have God's promised blessings in my life when I study his plan & do my best to follow his lead, applying myself to those directions I find he has for me. When I don't ~ I don't have: any promise, blessing, lead, good sustained application of self, directions.
I am mindful, now, that all this can be very subjective, I'm just talking about my personal thought & experience, as I know you are. It just seems to me that God does care about us individually and has mapped out a good plan....

Mona ~ drawing comfort where I can, finding MUCH to the good at your site! Thanks for the encouragements and compliments.

Libby ~ all these "Friday" drawings are vintage 'Dorko' so far. This one was 12-13-81.

Live, Love, Laugh ~ Thanks!

Julie ~ Point taken. Perhaps "We, the people" should take a little more personal responsibility when it comes to our national and international policies. I know I feel woefully inactive and under informed when it comes right down to the bigness of my nation's government. I will say that I think my state's reps are doing the best they can with what they've been given... & yet I'm not as 'up' on their doings as what I feel I should be!

Alekx ~ :) I hear YOU! Thanks.

DLAK ~ I more than 'believe'.
I asked God once about the bad stuff happening. He said,"I'm not the only one working here."

So, I thought s'more about it... People choose to do things of their own free will. (In my case there's been some colossal, personal stupidity!) Then there's Satan... not everything that "is" or "happens" is of God. Scripture says all GOOD things come from him. [James 1:17] I believe that all things should lead us back to him, the good & most especially the bad, gets my attention enough to actively seek Him. And it hasn't always been that way for me! I come, worship Him, because, the power I've witnessed Him display, is not only astoundingly beautiful, but the only power I know of that can turn good out from the bad.
I don't know alot about how everyone else is getting along in their earthly quests, but that's one thread of spiritual truth I've "gotten" thus far.

The drawing happened too long ago for me to rightly remember! lol! I'm thinking over the course of an evening... I like to tack drawings up where I can see them alot, live with them for a while. Sometimes add stuff later, like the light blue penciling in the background of this one and the stars 'round about that crazy moon like laurel leaves on a Roman ruler's head.

Unknown said...

Get on with it "Sister Dorko"...oh..how I love it when you talk like that. Great post on the main page and great post in the comment section too...I do..I do..I do..I do so love it when you talk like that !!!

Lovin' you Baby!
Your Huckleberry
(three more days..Shuger)

DLAK said...

Dorko; do you believe God could have stoped the bombing if he wanted to?

MomThatsNuts said...

Hey Girly~ Well you seemed to have opened a can of SOMETHING here huh? I think some people dont understand that GOD can handle more than ONE thing at once, I mean OUR stuff, and the starving children, I think if we feel too insignificant to even pray, then it is sad for us... WHY GOD lets bad things happen, well you know as well as I do, sometimes things HAPPEN and YES I think he COULD stop them, but like you said, HE isnt the only one working here. There was a great battle in Heaven between the 2 forces. That battle continues today, only the battleground has changed.
I used to pray for my Father in Law to get hit by a Mack Truck...I was praying though like Im supposed to....what was that about the LETTER of the law??? lol

Mom

Anonymous said...

A good reminder - praying for those people that are so easy to hate. It's tough, but you are completely right about it.

Love the drawing!

DBFrank said...

Amen!

Dorko said...

Mike ~ :) big smile ~ omniscience.
Yet He commands us to pray...must be something in the doing that's for our own good not necessarily for His.

DLAK ~ Isaiah 55:8-9 ~ My mortal mind doesn't grasp all that is - so I don't have the diffinative answer for you. Did you ask God about it? OK. I'm not dodging you,
you asked me, didn't you? What I thought? So... I think He can and does intervene in the affairs of the children of men to suit his purposes. I asked Him one time, "What is up with that whole dinosaur thing?" Unlike the other time (eg) the response I received came through impressions over a period of time: Paleontologist were going to need something to do, this world would have need of fossil fuels & lessons learned in our choices & stewardship, or lack there of, over it, life-form building blocks, & dinosaurs may be yet another means of testing for some peoples' faith... seems I'm still pondering the question and still receiving bits of answers to my query on it.
What about the Tsunami? We see in Scripture He had power to calm the sea: Over 250,000 people in one fell swoop...? In the aftermath of that incident I heard reports that there were no nationalities, no barriers, or boarders amongst the people remaining - only brotherhood. Questions are good, DLAK. Here's one that's helped me out a lot, "What am I learning from this?" On the global scale - are we stopping to check for our understanding as often as we possibly can? What are we learning from this? Are we learning? Is it good? Are we putting to use what we're learning - in order to have a better tomorrow than what we had today?

Momthatsnuts ~ I love you, girl!

Always_Adventuring ~ Thanks!

Jadedprimadonna ~ Hey! Thanks for stopping by :) and for the compliment!

Steelcowboy ~ you so got the last word right, brother... AMEN!

MomThatsNuts said...

Hey chicka...I got my grandmother up on my blog,,YOUR TURN...you promised!!! lol

Mom

1 Corinthians 12:31

... covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.