Monday, July 25, 2005

Woe! Nellie! I need BREAKS!

Happy Monday!
.
The car is in the shop.
No word yet on what the deal is with the breaks....
I'm guessing that no matter what it turns out to be I won't be getting any 'break' in the cost of repair.
*sighs*
I feel I have the very best situation with my mechanic, though. He is an old, old friend. We go back 20+ years in that friendship to a time when he used to play his guitar in local pubs with local musicians - one of whom [a bass player by the name of Dindy, of the infamous Byrd Family] was dating my sister, the Queen of Panic!... The man is just as intune with his guitar as he is with cars. I remember they had several incarnations of bands: There was the "Surefire" band, (My sister and I made the backdrop for them. It was really cool looking white on black, simple, stylized art nouveau-ish lettering. I still have the T'shirt). Then there was the "Flatlands" band, and a band they named "DH Flight". Dindy always did say they had a marketing flaw with T-shirts for the "Flatlands" band. (small breasted women just would not buy into them - no matter what!!! LOL! I always thought it would have helped their cause out if they'd printed the name on the back rather than horizontally right across the chest. Hehehee.) Good, good times -for the most part. Now, he, the mechanic/guitar playing friend, tells me about the music he plays in church on Sundays. Cool Beans.
.
Time flies... and, come to think of it, I haven't set foot in a 'bar' other than to get a cola, shoot pool or celebrate a family event like a graduation or a off-beat wedding reception in like... gee... gotta think!!! ... 9 or 10 years... humph! Kinda corresponds with my 'conversion' from walking on the what-is-wild-or-stupid-is-cool side to walking on the spiritual side. Can't say as I miss the scene much. I partied-a-plenty and must have got it outta my system, I suppose. Chagrined looking back and musing over my fairshare of misspent youth, though. Never did like all that cigarette smoke stinking up my hair! And who, in their right mind, tell me!?, ever thought up "Party til you puke!" as THE rebel yell of the early 80's *sheesh!* I'm thinking it was an O'Niel or one of the Spilneck boys... smirk... maybe it was Hunter & Coburn - they owned the best party bar in town! [It was highly rumored, by them, to have made a national lampoon's best of list. - now, to be fair, there really WAS enough raw material in antics therein to create a "Porky's meets Animal House" type of feature film] ... I ought to write that stuff down before full blown Alzheimer's hits.
Anyways... I trust the mechanic, which for the single sistah, is a HUGE blessing in itself!
He's always asking me how my sister is and asking me to send along his well wishes for her, too. Guess that's why I'm walking down memory lane a bit as the Queen of Panic! was actually in town and at Mom's place when I called there this morning to wheedle a ride home from the auto shop. Perfect. She could pick me up and maybe say "Hello" to the mechanic in person... unfortunately things don't always work out so-so perfectly on Monday mornings. The mechanic had been called away on a family emergency and has yet to return to his bustling little business. Hoping and praying now all is or soon will be well with him and his family members...
.
AND! -> Turns out the Queen of Panic! was only in town for a 'supply' run. ...towels...eggs... who knows what else!? Despite last night's terrific thunderstorm, them boyz of her's, [nephews of mine!] are out at
Medicine Creek Res. with our brother, their Uncle Rock, and his 'women', [That beautiful wife of his and their 3 daughters, my lovely nieces]. I understand the little Lord of Leaping, was a bit paranoid with last night's storm - as his last experience with Nebraska weather spawned a tornado which the family - Grandma in tow - narrowly dodged via artful driving outside of Grand Island, NE. Conditions got so dicey that the Queen of Panic! herself, admitted to me, she was litterally chewing on her T-shirt while watching the damn thing skip and dance... too close for anyone's comfort level, all the while she's telling her husband, the King of REM, to just drive, drive, DRIVE! She being the self appointed worrier and storm watcher in the family. (More good times!)
.
I heard the rumors last week that the Queen of Panic! was headed this way, (last THURSDAY) and I just got my hug and about 20 minutes of 'run' time with her this morning. Bless her heart. Told her I'd been waiting forever for her to get here - lol! She gifted me with some nice
'Red Wing Stoneware' and sped back off to da lake! Hopefully they'll all stay through to next weekend and enjoy the simple pleasures of the county fair in the bargain. Maybe I'll have breaks by then! Cheerios2U all!
.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

No doubt...when the brakes start feeling funny..it's shop time or time to take a closer look at the situation yourself. Glad you got to see your sister...sure wish I could see my shuger!

Missing you Baby...
Your Huckleberry...
Op~

DBFrank said...

Yeah, them brakes? They're important :)

Burfica said...

give me a break, give me a break!! Break me off a piece of that kit kat bar!!! hehehehehe

Alekx had to get brakes too. Must be something going around. LOL

Anonymous said...

brakes? who needs em!

1 Corinthians 12:31

... covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.