Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Goodbye, sweet one...

"Lady" is most likely NOT the name I would have chosen for this friend of mine. She was already fully grown (5-6 years old?) and impeccably trained when we started walking together back in 1995. It was only at the urging of a 'friend' and against my 'better judgment' that she came to live with me. She quickly won over my heart, and deep affection from almost every human-being who ever spent a moments notice in the same room with her. Sometimes the world labels with names that draw ill repute, before a being even has a chance to prove their temperament, and contribution to life. This baby girl was ALWAYS more a 'Lady' - than a bitch. She was never a bitch. That dog was the best dogger I've ever had the privilege of hanging with. Today I had to make the tough choice. You see, her body has been progressively failing in small degrees for quite sometime now. There is a fullness of time, that comes - when we sometimes have to be the judge. It aint easy. This is the hard choice... tempered only with thoughts of what is merciful? I've been in utter agony watching over her, lifting her, helping her negotiate and manage the infirmities of advancing age. One can only adapt so far before you see the quality of life for the beloved irrevocably marred. Today I said my last good-bye to this faithful, sweet, granddogger.
I'll not be posting again for a few days.
I need to keep REALLY busy, here, and um, I'm having a rough time just typing these few lines.
I thought to spare my coward self and not post at all, however this is my online journal and she has been an important part of my life for many, many years. She deserves a tearful, heartfelt tribute and every ounce of love I'm sending with her fuzzy little butt, into the spirit world - rest easy there, Lady, girl - Someday I hope to see your legs, strong once more, and doing your happy dance - before walking with you again. You good, old girl, you!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am very sorry for your loss of a good friend. I have been there.

taffy_stuck said...

I totoally understand how you feel. She's really a cutie tho'.

Mia said...

ahhh, *hugs* I'm so sorry. What a cutie.

ps...what is up with all these spammer comments these days?

Burfica said...

Oh my dear girlfriend!! I am so sorry!! I cry with ya hun!! It's one of the hardest things we ever have to do, but it's still one of the most humane. I'm sure she is up there playing with all the other loved pets of ours, just waiting to see you again. She definalty has no pain now, and can run and jump to her hearts desire. I love you to death, my dear friend, take some time. Weep, feel your emotions, and smile at the memories and knowledge you will be together again.

Unknown said...

What a beautiful dog

livinlife said...

Having just recently lost my Loki I can only offer my heartfelt sympathies. God bless and she will always live in you......

Paul said...

Sorry for your loss, been through that sort of thing too. And even with a whippet named Lady!

Libby said...

Oh, Dorko, this truly brought tears to my eyes. I've never had to deal with this, but i know i will someday. Meanwhile, my best wishes to you, and have happy memories of Lady. You know she feels only love & gratefulness for you.
LibbY!

Lillee said...

You know...Spam sucks.
I am so sorry about your dog.

Azathoth100 said...

Sorry about the loss. They do end up as part of our families. Seems like I know a lot of people who's pets have died recently. Be strong and be glad you got to have her in your life.

DLAK said...

Dorko, The only freinds I have ever had that were worth a shit were dogs and cats. Ladie is a good name for a good dog.

Queen on the run said...

Tears are falling from my eyes as I write this. What a beautiful tribute to a wonderful friend. The decision is never easy to say goodbye. My thoughts are with you during this difficult time. Lady is safe and in the loving embrace of our lord. She waits patiently tail wagging for your arrival. Never doubt for a moment that you will walk with her again. Never doubt for a moment that she is with you even now.Love knows no boundaries.(((((hugs)))))

DBFrank said...

Ah Dorko. I am so sorry. I have been there, and fully understand. Not an easy choice, at all, but one that is best when the time comes. Your tears are my tears.
May God make His face to shine on you.

Dorko said...

I'd like to thank each and every one of you for your kind words of support, which helped me more than you'll know.

I wanna point out that I've 'adjusted' comments here, too. Anonymous is no longer possible. Blame it on the Spammers. I think it's rude to drop solicitation in - off topic - to people's blogs. *sheesh!*

Monique said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. I completely understand about your beloved dog. We lost ours this summer. Very similar story but in the end she passed before we could put her down. Her last few weeks were heartbreaking. I feel your pain.

Unknown said...

Shugger..you know my thoughts...Lady was a good friend to you..and you to her..she could have not had a better friend than you..and you her.

Love ya
your Huckleberry
Op~

1 Corinthians 12:31

... covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.