Saturday, June 04, 2005

The Pilgrim

The Pilgrim by Shaun Davey

I have heard this music on NPR a few times and I've gratefully let it wash through me, thinking someday I'll hunt that down and have it for myself. In particular, I like the cut Deer's Cry. Here's what I found on it this morning:

The Deer's Cry: Rita Connolly, vocal; City of Glasgow Chorus and orchestra. The lyrics are taken from Kuno Meyo's translation of the 8th century poem sometimes, but apparently incorrectly, attributed to St. Patrick and alternatively entitled `St. Patrick's Breastplate'. The opening words in the original Irish, `atom-ruig' translated here as `I arise' have also been translated as 'I gird myself'. This prayer-poem served as a prayer for protection against the perils faced by medieval travellers.
The Deers CryAnon. 8th Century : Translated from old Irish by Kuno Meyer.


I arise today

Through the strength of Heaven
Light of sun
Radiance of moon
Splendour of fire
Speed of lightning
Swiftness of wind
Depth of the sea
Stability of earth
Firmness of rock

I arise today

Through Gods strength to pilot me
Gods eye to look before me
Gods wisdom to guide me
Gods way to lie before me
Gods shield to protect me
From all who shall wish me ill
Afar and anear
Alone and in a multitude
Against every cruel
Merciless power
That may oppose my body and soul

Christ with me, Christ before me,
Christ behind me, Christ in me,

Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ on my right, Christ on my left,
Christ when I lie down, Christ when I sit down,
Christ when I arise, Christ to shield me

Christ in the heart of everyone who thinks of me,

Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me
I arise today.


10 comments:

Unknown said...

"The Christ in me..does see the Christ in you"...

Op~

DBFrank said...

Beautiful

Dorko said...

Back at you Opie.

Big smile for you Steelcowboy ~ I noticed a variation of this in your achives! [sweet]

Libby said...

i'm gonna have to echo steelcowboy...."Beautiful!"
LibbY!

Azathoth100 said...

Hey Dorko, would it be a sin if I linked you on my blog?

Dorko said...

Azathoth ~ humm... if linking w/you is wrong I don't wanna be right! ;) Do it up, Hun!

Lillee said...

Oohh. I like this. In fact, I think maybe I've heard it..or maybe not.......

Jim said...

Jesus Christ!


hey dorky i posted yr nude portrait
Ye4ah yeah i no u didnt pose for it

its from memory

Julie said...

I love finding new music on npr, they have some great finds of music. great choice!

Burfica said...

very nice

1 Corinthians 12:31

... covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.