Thursday, June 23, 2005

Midsummer Night's Dreams

I popped open today's date in "Simple Abundance: A Daybook of Comfort and Joy" by Sarah Ban Breathnach and fell in love, all over again, with the message there. Here are 'parts' of it for your consideration:

"... a bit of midsummer madness and magic are good for the soul. This probably explains why in Europe, Midsummer's Eve (June 23) has traditionally been set aside as the night for high-spirited merry making and light-hearted [fun]. ~... life's simple pleasures are meant to be savored... ~ "

Think of the very best beliefs of the most peaceful religions... Breathnach explains about "Stillwaters," the mock New England sect imagined by author and illustrator Tasha Tudor, "Stillwater connotes something very peaceful, life without stress. Nowadays, people are so jeezled up. If they took some chamomile tea and spent more time rocking on the porch in the evening... they might enjoy life more."

As for the Dorko: I remember my parents (and grandparents) sitting out on the porch on summer evenings chatting with the occasional neighbor who may happen by. Watching [us!] their children as we stalked painted lady butterflies, where ever we could find them, prize additions to our mayonnaise jars with the 'holes in the lids', courtesy of Mom and her trusty meat fork. The cicadas, we called them locus, always providing the background music, singing loud then low up in the trees. And when that sun went down there was the delightful magic of fireflies to light our way! (more pretties for our jars!) ~ but I digress ~ returning to Simple Abundance...

Breathnach goes on to say that: "On Midsummer's Eve, the Still waters have a Great Party -- plenty of music, dancing in the barn, and a sumptuous summer supper. ... very hedonistic. Life is to be enjoyed, not saddled with, Tasha Tudor insists. The first commandment of the Stillwaters, is to 'Take joy' from each day. This is a catechism we should all embrace to experience Heaven on earth... I love Midsummer's Day (June 24). For me, it's a personal mid-course correction for the year. I wander out into the back yard very early in the morning and pluck a blossom from the garden heavy with dew. With my fingers, I'll pat the dew upon my face, for legend has it that any woman who washes her face in the dew of Mid-summer's Day will grow more lovely with the passing year. Fairy cakes are made for tea, midsummer's syllabub (a delightful concoction of cider, lemon, berries, and whipped cream) is prepared for a moonlit picnic, and personal dreams are renewed. Being Irish, I don't dismiss the belief in love charms, magic herbs, and divination, for I know there's more to this world than we'll ever hope to understand. But these days I'm not so much interested in what the future holds as I am in the present.

"I believe the nicest and sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple little pleasures, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string," ...When Midsummer arrives, it's a time to look ahead and dream. Perhaps, if one is lucky, the days ahead will unfold as a "never-to-be-forgotten summer -- one of those summers which come seldom into any life, but leave a rich heritage of beautiful memories of delightful weather, delightful friends and delightful doings, come as near perfection as anything can come in the world."

Now is the high-tide of the year,
And whatever of life hath ebbed away
Comes flooding back with ripply cheer
Now the heart is so full that a drop overfills it,
We are happy now, because God wills it.
-- James Russell Lowell

This is how Breathnach ends 'her post' and I'm following suit: "May this potent Midsummer spell never be broken for you and those you love."

12 comments:

Unknown said...

"love charms, magic herbs," ...I had love charms and magic mushrooms...and it was sooo sweeeet! Just like you!

That was well written Dorko...very good indeed!...."there "is" splendor in the grass and a riot of color in the garden. The fresh fragrance of freedom is in the air"...and it's waiting..here in Eastern North Cackalackie!!!

Op~

Dorko said...

O. Opie ~ you followed the "Link" did you? Then, again, I knew YOU would. Big smile just for you, "Shuger"!

DBFrank said...

Well now, that was an interestin' site ya lead us to, young un... I love this post o' yours, lassie.. *wink* Why a good Colleen like yerself ought ta be keerful o' them charms and herbs, ya never know who'll come a knockin'! ;)
Aye, I kin get away wit dat, bein' o' the Irish me own self...

Dorko said...

Lol ~ Steel! Dig that "Highlander" accent, even in th' print form... There IS a lot to that link I pasted. Worthy of a wee tour.

Dorko said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Alekx said...

I seem to remember some magic herbs that used to be in abudance in mine and your apartment...I think it was midsummers night year round with us eh girlie

Jim said...

Heyyy Dorky
u havent told me lately
dat u love me

Jim said...

BLAST IT !
i stopped coming here
to avoid dat uply OPIE mug



and he is still here
is there any way u can make him invisible to me Dorky?

Burfica said...

I am so fricken jeleous!!! Everyone talks of fireflys/lightning bugs, and I have never ever seen one. Only on t.v.

Dorko said...

Burfica! You really DO need to see & chase Fireflies at least once in your life. It truly is one of life's simple pleasures. Maybe we can figure something out?

Saby! Long time no seeums. You need some love flowing your way, Saby? You don't really wanna make Opie invisible do you? I'd think you'd wanna keep an eye on him ~ I sure do!

Alekx! Hun! I'm innocent! OK,Fine... I haven't ALWAYS been this innocent. What were we thinking? "Party 'til you puke"? [Ou! Wrinkles nose!]I'm happy we lived to tell the tales ~ if only we could remember what they were... kidding! :P

Dorko said...

Eeek! Lookit the time! I gotta run outside and find a bud before all the dewiness is gone for sure! LOL!

kitten said...

I loove that book...and this is a wonderful uplifting post.

1 Corinthians 12:31

... covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.