Friday, May 27, 2005

Memorial Weekend

Yea!
Memorial weekend once again!
A time for honoring our fallen heroes.
A time for remembering freedom's cost.
A time for decorating the graves of the dead... and... in doing so, perhaps we'll be prompted to share the living stories of the great things they had to teach us.

You gotta know where they all are, it sure does help to know where they all are.

I was reminded of that 2 seasons past when my Aunt Dona came up from KS. She visits here most Memorial weekends because this is where her parents, grand-parents, and a great-great-great-grand are "resting". There is a nice spot marked for her someday. It is a few feet north, and a tick east, of that big, beautiful pine tree which stands watch there. When she finally does go to ground, she will be laid down between the baby son she never got a chance to laugh with, and raise up ~ along with the other 5 children she had, and the baby brother that left this world before she, herself, ever came to be.

I remember, she came out to my place and opened up that car trunk of hers and she had a huge collection of decorations in there. Everything.... She had the patriotic, Red, White and Blue stuff, for our veteran kin, she had playful ~ pinwheeles and cherubs, for the children and the babies (I thought that was especially cool) and like I said, everything in between. Then we went up together and she was remembering one's I'd either forgotten or that had been laid down, while I was out drawing insights into my life, listening to wind walking through the deep canyons, and reflecting what light I had to see with, upon the vermilion rock faces of the high Colorado desert plateau. I've joyed in wondering off to quiet, majestic places. I like to be still, sometimes, and drink in the knowledge ~ the testimony of all creation ~ of the great I am ~ of the Living God. And it's good to return, and touch home base, and honor your roots. I've come to realize they've been buried, generations deep, into fertile ground.

5-6 years ago I got a "place" up there too. .. and if it does, in fact, end up being my final resting place, I'll be with several other dear family members. Another favorite Aunt, Phyllis D. found this parcel of gravesites for sale, posted on a bulletin board at a grocery store in Aurora CO, of all places. Her and Uncle Dale offered me the option of buying in on one: $150.00 bucks for "perpetual care". I thought that was a smokin' deal. Uncle Dale still thinks it's a hoot that it was my first real-estate purchase! [I don't mind going with the long term investments!] Could be, I'll never get to use it. I like the general, carefree thoughts of never knowing where & how you'll end up... but I also like telling folks that I've got that off my to-do list! Hehehee...

Ah! Memorial weekend! has always been a special time for me.
It is the first big partay weekend of the summer.
And more years than not, it marks my birthday celebrations with great joy, and vitality for life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness ~ ah! Baby! How good it can be!!!

Here's a quote attributed to Mother Jones: ~ "pray for the dead and fight like hell for the living!"
Right on, Mother. Wishing all of you a great, SAFE, JOYFUL and wondrous ~ holiday weekend!
Cheerios2U all!

6 comments:

kitten said...

Hey, Happy Memorial Day weekend to you too!!!!
Thanks a bunch for visiting Kerry.....Im sure shes got a big smile on her face....

Burfica said...

Happy Memorial Day to you. May we keep those still fighting the good fight in our thoughts and prayers this weekend.

Lillee said...

Great post!
When I am down, or just feeling quiet, I go to my grandmother's house, which like mine is out in the country. There is such a feeling of family out there, that I do not feel where I am currnetly living. Knowing that generaton after generation was raised in the same spots gives me such a sense of peace. Combined with a fresh breeze on a wonderful day, I ALWAYS leave there feeling refreshed. It's a great feeling!

Kerry M. Conway said...

Happy Memorial Day weekend darling!

Libby said...

womderful post, dorko! a great reminder of, well, what to remember! Thank you!! Happy Memorial Day!
BoUnCeS!! LibbY!

Jim said...

OK its memorial day
we gotta have gratitude for the soldiers who died defending our God and Cuntry

but in future lets not have any more wars
for GOD and/or country


make LOVE not WAR
a cliche ?

but i am a dreamer like dat Lennon
i tink it will happen in my life time

besides wid the advances in medical science viz stem cell research

i just mite be able to repalce all my vital organs even deek

1 Corinthians 12:31

... covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.