Thursday, October 13, 2005

Handpainting

Yea.
Remember those beautiful old handpainted photographs that people had done 'back in the day' before color photography became so cheap and easy?
A recent project in Digital Imaging was to create a 'handcolored' photograph using the computer and working on a photograph we were to bring from home.

(not steal from the internet - teacher being wary of copyright infringements)
I was going to "do" my Mother's graduation photo.
She actually paid to have that done back in 1950-something, but my sister got that copy. All I have is a smaller B&W version.
I decided I would do that little pix of my nephew instead.
I learned alot doing this project.
One thing I learned was that it was really good instinct on my part to go with a copy that I had color on, to refer to, first!
(That became very important in my learning curve here!)
I must have trash-canned a half dozen attempts before I realized that:
you got to go supper light in your color opasities and paint flow in photoshop & over lay colors on top of each other, just like you really would do painting, to even come close to NOT having a 'cartoon' caracter...
plus the whole idea of the project is to allow some of the grey scale to show through - that's the beautiful effect, of the handpaints, after all.
AND I learned that when you've done something you are pleased with, SAVE it.
This creates a cheap way of getting back to something you like, if you do happen to really screw up bad with your next set of choices.
AND speaking of choice, I found out that what I thought was a great color for lips and cheeks and hair really sucked!
I was soooo far off, so I resorted to flipping back and forth between my original colored photograph and the one I was trying to create.
I found that I could use the 'color picker' to select something from the cheek area, lets say... (and it would look like mud - really dark!) and then go to my project & turn that opasity way down on that color I just picked up, using the paint-brush tool, and... ureeka!
It would be much closer to what I really wanted. :P
So! That's the boring details.

Here's the Original, the grey scale, and what I finally came up with for the handpaint project.
So much fun I think I'll be doing that old photo of Mom, next...
. Original.....
.





Grey-scale
.
.
.
.
The Handpaint.
I think my sister will like it. =)
.
.
Love and best regards to you and yours for a marvelous weekend!!!
D. ~

3 comments:

Bar L. said...

that is sooooooooo cool! beautiful!

Alekx said...

I'm so happy that you are back to your artistic side girlie You went way to long letting this talent lay dormant. Of course I know there were other things in your life but it's good to see you on track again

Love you

~SugarBear~ said...

Very nice! I'm sure she'll love it, it is beautiful.

1 Corinthians 12:31

... covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.