Saturday, October 15, 2005

The Black Heart

Here's an October poem.
.
It seems to fit the month and the mood.
I was a tender 22, the October these words came to me, sooooooooo... that should explain a lot.
The concept of how treacherous hearts could be was just dawning on me.
If ever one was to perform this piece of poetry, I'd suggest they do it to the sound of a live heart, beating its rhythm in the background, that's what I imagined when I wrote the thing down on paper in 1982.
There is a syncopation here of 7 & 6, (syllables per line) somehow, and I don't know why (?), that rhythm seemed as important as rhymes did for this one.
.
BTW, I'm stepping away from the blogging world for a while. I've got to "tighten-up" at school, work, and home. Any of you who've ever tried to carry a full 15 hours + balance out the budget and home chores, all by your own little lonesome selves will understand why.... Meanwhile, I only wish I could find a color darker than black to write this poem in, but I'm not willing to go into that realm of outer darkness to get it.
.
.
The Black Heart of the wicked -
outlined by falling tears,
The Black Heart of the wicked -
keep evil ever near.
The Black Heart is a dark thing -
casting shadow on your soul,
The Black Heart is a dark thing -
for whom the bell does toll.
The Black Heart pumps our sorrows -
and runs the feeling deep,
The Black Heart pumps our sorrows -
and robs me of my sleep.
The Black Heart beats a rhythm -
a heavy hearted pace,
The Black Heart beats a rhythm -
of time etched on your face.
The Black Heart is so empty -
no purity, no truth,
The Black Heart is so empty -
it has no love to lose.
And Black Hearts leave you lonely -
their coldness never ends,
A Black Heart left me lonely -
do broken hearts 'er mend?
.
~

6 comments:

Mona said...

Dorko, Thanks for sharing this poem. Very descriptive, very deep. I found it interesting that you wanted a color darker than black.

Best wishes for you getting on track with your schedule. I do know what it's like to juggle a little too much. Thankfully, it changes, right?

Take care,
Mona

Mona said...

p.s. try to stop in on occasion or come back as soon as you can (i'm not one to talk about taking long breaks though!).

Unknown said...

Takes a brave spammer to post his picture..I'm still not over that one...LOL...

Seems like the process of elimination goes on still...Hope thing level out for you soon Shugger.

Still love ya!
GOD Bless
OP~

Dorko said...

Still loving you, too - Opie O.

(How do you know that's really him?)

Mia said...

thanks for sharing. Get back on track but don't forget to come back. *hugs*

Anonymous said...

The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. - Psalm 34:18

1 Corinthians 12:31

... covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.