Thursday, December 01, 2005

Still Life



I started a new still life in Drawing I.
Thats what you see here.
I've barely begun.
I thought you might like to see the process... now remember I'm rusty, so it's taking me longer than ever to get the information down.
(That's artist talk for "draw the thing!")
Took me 3 hours just to get the main sketch down. . . but then, like anything else in this world, if it aint right to begin with nothing will make it right in the end.
I figure I have about 6 hours draw time into it at this point.
When I begin to render details, I prefer to work left to right, across the page - b/c I am right handed and I don't like smearing the details, with my drawing hand, once I've got them happily in there.
I spent a considerable amount of time trying to get this thing onto the computer, big problem is that it's a big drawing. (24"x18")
I scanned it 6 times and tried to bleed the scans together.... but found some pretty wide variance in pigmentation from scan to scan.
Thought I'd mention that as another reason it looks a little messy moving from left to right.
I'm posting the bottom 3 scans and a detail of the lower left side which I think is coming along nicely.
Feel free to click on the picture to see an enlargement. I just did, and it really is better - getting down the angle of the book and those glasses is what took the majority of my time in class today.

I'm thinking I'll post some of the progress, as I go along with it - or at least the finished work.
Hoping it'll be good enough for a mat and framing, as I love the sceen - a grandmother's specticles and opened, German bible, are set before a bouquet of flowers, on a table attended by a fancy lamp with a glass shade. . .
What, if anything, do you think would be "a name" for this piece?
Have a well drawn weekend, ya'll! =)
Cheerios!
D. ~

9 comments:

DBFrank said...

You are SO talented.

Burfica said...

That is so very cool. I love your flowers. I would love to see it as you keep working on it. Only name I came up with was Peace. Cuz it reminds me of a very peacefull, quiet scene.

I'm sure you can come up with something much more better. hehehehehe

Now I know who to come to to draw more flowers for another tattoo. hehehehe Still waiting to see if you get a dragon done. hehehehehe

Dorko said...

Thank you Steelcowboy... I've noticed God, the Father, has endowed you with considerable talents as well. Write on, brother! (pun intended!)

Hehehee, Burfica - you are SO, SO, SO on my list... you've no idea how often I have big and little dragons tumbling through my head for you, one day I'll tap them out of there and onto some paper for you. =)

Libby said...

Great Job, Dorko!!
BoUnCeS!! LibbY!

Unknown said...

Cool picture..that's a lot of work you're talking about...Why don't you name it.."His Wort - Für Alle"?

Oh..and don't forget..you're to paint something on the "Grease Is Great" pig cooker.

Op~

Alekx said...

I've told you this for years and years, girl your talent just takes my breath away and I'm so very happy that you are tapping into your artist talent again as you left it lay dorment for way to long.
"life renewed" that's the title I'm thinking of.
Love ya

EV said...

I just love it when you post your artwork. Thanx!!

~SugarBear~ said...

You have such talent. Thanks for sharing it with those of us that have difficulty even writing our names neatly. (this is why I take Art History, not Drawing 203 hehehe)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1 Corinthians 12:31

... covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.