Monday, December 05, 2005

Joy to the world!

The extra-special benefit of regular church attendance during the month of December is the singing!
These next four Sunday's will be packed with Christmas hymns, flanking the sacrament hymn, each week.
Yesterday, we were few in number & ever more blessed to have been faithful in our journey to worship.
Jack Frost had iced every twig on every tree, every fence line, he even got any and all weeds sticking up through the snow. It was truly a winter 'wonderland' to behold on the drive into town.
The opening song yesterday carried on that elation for all creation I was feeling - Joy to the World!
As I partook of the sacrament - I was mindful of His great goodness, and humbled, almost beyond expression at the thoughts that always come to me with the sacrament, the love He has offered me - I Stand All Amazed - was the sacrament hymn, and how fitting! I quote the 2nd verse, "I marvel that he would descend from his throne divine To rescue a soul so rebellious and proud as mine, That he should extend his great love unto such as I, Sufficient to own, to redeem, and to justify. Oh it is wonderful that he should care for me enough to die for me! Oh it is wonderful, wonderful to me!" -- end quote.
I also marvel, that the great creator of all, would instill into me a little, tiny bit of His divinity, a little, tiny bit of creation's talent, and the eyes to see, to glimpse from time to time, the majesty and miracle of it. I am so very grateful for His gifts to me.
As the branch presidency opened the meeting to testimony I was reminded of my baptismal covenants and ever thankful that I know what they are! To come into the fold of God, and to be called His people, to be willing to bare one another's burdens, that they may be light; yes, and to be willing to mourn with those that mourn and comfort those that stand in the need of comfort, and to stand as witness of God at all times and in all things and in all places that I may be in, even unto death. God's promises in the baptismal covenant? That ye may be redeemed of God, and be numbered with those of the first resurrection, that ye may have eternal life -- (which is the greatest of all God's gifts) The act of baptism in the name of the Lord, is "as a witness before Him that ye have entered into a covenant with Him, that ye will serve Him and keep His commandments, that He may pour out His Spirit more abundantly upon you." What a deal! =)
I had forgotten that, being the first Sunday of the month, this would be a Fast and Testimony meeting - so I was not fasting, but fueled up on those Cheerios and skim milk, again. Still, I felt impressed to stand and bare my testimony - what an honor and a privledge it is to have one... to be able to emulate the Saviour who did just that throughout his earthly walk - stand, and bare His testimony.

The closing hymn, yesterday was - It Came upon the Midnight Clear

It came upon the midnight clear, That glorious song of old,
From angels bending near the earth To touch their harps of gold:
"Peace on the earth, good will to men From heav'n's all-gracious King."
The world in solemn stillness lay to hear the angels sing.

Still thru the cloven skies they come With peaceful wings unfurled,
And still their heav'nly music floats O'er all the weary world.
Above its sad and lowly plains They bend on hov'ring wing,
And ever o'er its babel sounds The blessed angels sing.

For lo! the days are hast'ning on, By prophets seen of old,
When the ever-circling years Shall come the time foretold,
When the new heav'n and earth shall own The Prince of Peace their King,
And the wholeworld send back the song Which now the angels sing.

Wishing a JOYFUL week to all who pass this way today!!!
Dorko

7 comments:

EV said...

Remember Credence Clearwater Revival and Jeremiah was a Bullfrog? " Sing it - Joy to The world...all the boys and girls now , joy to the fishies in the deep blue sea and joy to you and me."

Coincidences being what there are, I posted this on another site today, too. That song will be with me all day now. Maybe all season. ;0)

Dorko said...

=) Oh yeah! I remember, lol!
Too cool.
There's worse things you could have runnin' in your head today!

Everybody:
"Da-Da-Daah! Jeremiah was a Bullfrog. Da-Da-Dah!.... "

Burfica said...

OoOo I just love Christmas hymns.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

I thought "Three Dog Night" did that song???...Anyway..I was thinking totally of a different "Joy To The World"...Y'all didn't sing the "bullfrog" song in church did ya?

Op~

Dorko said...

OP... giggle, no, dear one - not in sacrament meeting anyways - we sang the:

"Joy to the world, the Lord is come, let earth receive her King! Let evvvvvvery heart, prepaaaare Him roooom, and Saints and Angels sing, and Saints and Angels sing, and Saaaints and Saaaaaaaints and Angels sing.... "

etc...

=)

EV said...

Opie Outlaw: Ooooopps! You're right. Three Dog Night did the original. Good one. Thanx.

I still like the song, though - part of my personal "Big Chill" flashbacks.

1 Corinthians 12:31

... covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.