Friday, December 16, 2005

18 Hours in


December 4th, 2005 - Yea! I'm almost done! Sorry if it took you awhile to pull up the blog. I left it on the big side in case anyone wants to click onto it to enlarge. (That's really the best way to see the work I've put into it so far) I'm thinking of inventing another, darker, bloom on the right side of the bouquet. That side is tricky b/c it's in the direction of the 'light source'. I'm also thinking about smoothing out the table cloth on that side and with a little value rendered into the lamp - I'll be able to call it good. I got some happy accidents going in there, too... just gonna hint at the possibility of a sheer curtain behind the lamp, all I had to do was pull some high lights out of the graphite smudge with my eraser to do it.
I'm figuring I have about 18 hours into it at this point. One of my friends squawked a bit over the hours I said here - until I reminded them that it's a BIG drawing. (For me anyway. I'm more accustomed to 8x10s)
And, I know, my old buddy, Alekx was right - I never should have buried my talent for as long as I have! It gives me such great joy to create beautiful things. =) PLUS, I'd be a lot faster had I been out drawing stuff, lo, these many years, rather than with-drawing into 'my little cave,' for want of a better term. *tisk* Oh, well - I certainly feel like kickin' it out now! Hehehee!
I was really into it yesterday.
I could feel myself practically champing at the bit to get it done.
I made the terrible mistake of not saying anything to my art teacher when I had the chance, on Friday, and I never did get a hold of him to open up the classroom I needed. Saturday) Otherwise - I would be done by now!
I went a head and pulled it out of my sketchbook to make it easier to scan and bled all 6 scan sections together - for blogger viewing pleasure - and my own record.
I've never taken inventory of my work in progress before. I think it's been kinda neat to record what happened at the end of each work session.
By the time this draft hits my blog, the completed drawing should be protectively framed, and hanging on a wall some where sweet.
Hope you all have a sweet weekend.
Cheerios!
D. ~
12/16-2005 - It is finished. I double matted (Rita's frame shop was running a special) and put it into the cheapest frame I could find from Wal-Mart - which is, indeed, pretty flimsy-cheap. BUT - Hey! It's in something hangable and protective. =) I left the original work at the Wrightstone Building in care of Dr. Johnson. I'm working on a post for next Friday that will be suitable for download... a Christmas gift to any of my blogger friends who would like to have a printed copy for themselves...? I'm feeling the Spirit and it's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas - Merry Christmas, God bless us everyone!

11 comments:

Burfica said...

whooooohoooooo you got finished!!!!! yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

dangermama said...

I definetly want one - your work is amazing... can you be commissioned?

Libby said...

dorko...that is such a beautiful picture! i'm proud to say that i know (kinda, sorta) the artist!! it really shows, how HAPPY you were with it, & while you were drawing it!

Unknown said...

I can hardly wait for you to paint my "pig cooker"....lol...

Great work Shugger...yea..I want one of those "finished" ones...

Maybe you should think about doing tatoos...

mmmaaaauuuuhh
Op~

Azathoth100 said...

Congrats Dorko! It looks awsome! Glad Alekx kicked you butt into gear, shes good at that. So what are you going to work on next?

Jim said...

i was hungry (for love)
and u didnt love me

u only love OPIE and other bible toting freaks

u cant go to heaven on roller skates

EV said...

Beautiful.

Dorko said...

Burfica - can you believe it? Cause to celebrate! Whooooo-Hoooo!

Addie! Good to hear from you -!!! Probably not a good idea to take on a commission while in school, but... um, what are you thinking about, dear one??? Pitch me an idea & I might be able to practice doodle on it, huh?

Libby, Mike - Thank you kindly, God gave me a great blessing, didn't he?

Opie - Mmmaaauuuhhh back to you. (dang it. I wish that was real...*snivel*)

Aza - Alekx is an excellent butt kicker! Hehehee. I'm working on: Pumpkins in charcoal, (my first still life using charcoal), a "self portrait" done with found objects - stuff from around the house that's "Me" <-Dr.Johnson's brite idea, and another still life - Sea Shells spilling out of a basket...Then somebody out there wanted a dragon and a mermaid and a tail on a pig cooker and there's a special drawing I used to do for newborn babies that Imma gonna do again, since I'm getting a new nephew or niece very soon. I'll pop 'em all up here on the blog as I get them done so you can see. . . cool beans?
BTW, I really appreciate the feed-back!

Saby! I've never said I didn't love you. I just found out I couldn't trust visiting your site (remember the booby traps?)heh. =)
I must admit the concept was genius - turning bombers into boobies - pure genius!
God love you Saby!

Mia said...

Wow thats awsome. Great work!

dangermama said...

ha - I was afraid you forgot about me since I havent gotten to comment lately - although Ive still been reading...

actually I was thinking about a pic of my little one - I would love to give it to my husband as a present b/c I saw the one you did of your nephew(?) a little while back and it was gorgeous... I dont know if you like to do people though, I know your still life is amazing though, and my little one loves trains, so Id love to have a really good pic of one to put in his room although I havent found one yet

I totally understand not doing it while in school though, I would hate to knock your concentration... I just think your talent is some of the most amazing work Ive seen in a long time... :)

Anonymous said...

Hi there...nice blog. When I was out blog surfing looking for detailed info on baby gift basket I found your page. Your site is not an exact match but it did catch my interest. Should you ever need information on baby gift basket then drop by the site above and check it out.

1 Corinthians 12:31

... covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.