Sunday, December 18, 2005

Restoration - Life Renewed

I decided to go with the Alekx suggestion in naming this piece.
(I've got a request in to Aunt Ursula for a German translation of the above title)
I couldn't wait til next Friday to post it.
Too much excitement in the air!
I'm busy all week with People and Parties and Pot Lucks and catching up on housework-fun, so I'm not sure how much I'll be able to catch up with all of you blogger friends of mine... there are some post you've done that I want to revisit... any who... here's a scan of what the finished Still Life looks like - complete with simulated frame and matting. I've left it big in case some of you want to click / enlarge on the pix to look at details or for those of you who would like to download and print a copy for keeps. Just remember, you may have to resize it to print it and, please, feel free to enhance to your heart's delight. (i.e.: change the coloring on the "matt" / "frame" etc...)
_______________________________________________
Sabbath thoughts:
.
Church was wonderful today!
I loved the special music presentations by the primary (children) and young women's groups. Excellence - just made my heart sing (and my eyes water!) to hear them.
.
There will be a big celebration at the end of this week going into Christmas (pot luck and a special, televised, Church Broadcast) as it coincides with the anniversary of the birth of Joseph Smith, Jr. and hence the 'restoration of the fullness of the gospel' through the coming forth of the book of Mormon. One very simple scripture, quoted from that volume, stands out in my thoughts yet this evening... from the book of Jacob 6:12 - "O be wise; what can I say more?"
Plain and simple, huh?
.
Christmas, for me, will be extra special - falling on a Sunday this year. Services at Church will match it (the great music continues on!). I'm only sorry that we'll just be there for morning worship services - no Sunday school classes - which is appropriate. As the best, ultimate place for Christ's gospel of self mastery and selfless love is played out at home against the back drop of loving family bonds.
.
The Gospel Doctrine lessons I teach the youth seem to be going ok, at least in content and format! Heh! =) [They keep trying to convince me they'd do even better with cookies!] Hehehee.... someday....
.
Last week's talk was about the importance of being good citizens, I was trying to relate that concept directly to the youth both temporally and spiritually... about how being a good citizen out in the world ties back to being a good citizen in the kingdom of God.
.
Then I came upon this statement, in the teacher's manual, by Elder M. Russell Ballard of the Quorum of the Twelve (a modern day Apostle) :

"In The Church we often state the couplet, 'Be in the world but not of the world'... Perhaps we should state the couplet... as two separate admonitions. First, 'Be in the world.' Be involved; be informed. Try to be understanding and tolerant and to appreciate diversity. Make meaningful contributions to society through service and involvement. Second, 'Be not of the world.' Do not follow wrong paths or bend to accommodate or accept what is not right... "
"Members of the Church need to influence more than we are influenced. We should work to stem the tide of sin and evil instead of passively being swept along by it. We each need to help solve the problem rather than avoid or ignore it."
(in Conference Report, Apr. 1989, 100-101; or Ensign, May 1989, 80)
. . . That's a lot to think about right there. . .
Then, today, our lesson was on the importance of family and on gaining inspiration to strengthen the one you have.
I Loved this quote from the President of the Church, Gordon B. Hinckley taught: "When you are married, be fiercely loyal to one another. Selfishness is the great destroyer of happy family life. If you will make your first concern the comfort, the well-being, and the happiness of your companion, sublimating any personal concern to that loftier goal, you will be happy, and your marriage will go on throughout eternity." (Ensign, Dec. 1995, 67)
.
I told the youth that, one could do well to substitute any member of the family and 'relationship', for companion and 'marriage', in that quoted ideal - even their siblings - and ultimately, their personal happiness would enjoy a great increase.
.
I've kept coming back, again and again, to these quotes. I'm guessing I really need to...
Mater of fact I've had an example play out right before me, THIS WEEKEND, on how miserable one can be in the face of potential happiness - by taking the selfish role.
(I won't horrify you with the details!)
I believe that there are some "keyes" in those quotes, somewhere, for me (anyone really) - to use for good purpose.
Most likely I need to 'tighten up' on that encouraging part. The part about being progressively more active, aware and kind - rather than passive, selfish and hard... I pray the Lord guide me in these things.
It's an infinitely better use of ground, and far more difficult for weeds to grow, in a full, thick bed of flowers, no?!
"O Be wise, what can I say more?"
Enjoy the Bouquet of Blessings your family and community brings to you!
Wishing you all renewed life during this course of the 'Season of Joy'!
Merry Christmas! . . . and much love, to all who pass this way!!!
D. ~


P.S. - If you dare click the link and then 'listen' to that Christmas Story, told by John Henry Faulk, have some tissues ready - just in case!

11 comments:

Burfica said...

wow, that is so beautiful Dorko. I'm busy busy busy this week too. NO time to breath, just gotta run. hehehehehe

Unknown said...

Great work/art Shugger...the John Henry Faulk "Christmas Story" is a good one..real good.

Op~

Jim said...

THE YEAR 2005 we had mumbai floods, Katrina, Rita and more

but to me
it was a great year

i met u dis year

HAVE A MERRY X'MAS and a GREAT NEW YEAR




u too OPIE

~SugarBear~ said...

Amazing! That is so beautiful. Thanks for posting it for us to see. By the way the JH Faulk "Christmas Story" is a great story.

Merry Christmas to you & yours and a blessed New Year!

Unknown said...

Merry Christmas Shugger!

U too Saby

Alekx said...

Wow thank you for the compliment of taking my suggestion for the name of the drawing..
I'm just celebrating that you are back to one of your true loves and using the talent God gave you.

You have been, are and always will be one of my bestest friends and I will always celebrate your successes and hopefully help you up when or if you fall down
Love ya baby girl

Jim said...

Merry Christmas again Dorky and OPIE

wont u tell me your name hunny?




dat was for Dorky not OPIE

Queen on the run said...

Merry christmas!!

DLAK said...

Dorko you have a great eye and a steady hand... I love your drawing. Have a wonderful New Year!

Dorko said...

Thanks to all of you - hoping your Christmas was full of Joy and Peace. (Aren't those the best ones?)

Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! » »

1 Corinthians 12:31

... covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.