Friday, April 21, 2006

A Snitch in Time






*Edit: I jumped a version compatible to blogger. Just look at that variance in RGB (color mode!) from a jpeg to a scanned printing. Quite a bit of compromise in quality, isn't there?
Feel free, btw to copy / print the cleaner version here. You might change color mode to CMYK before you print, but then again, you might not. ;) Cheerios, people!
.
The assignment: Create a clock using Adobe Illustrator program. Illustrator has a 3D tool that we were also instructed to apply to the design.

I apologize for the image quality here. I forgot to jump a version out of .ai and into another file assignment compatible with Blogger. So I scanned the test print I brought home with me and we see here a little dithering around the halos. I got those cool things using something called the sparks tool. I also hand drew the key line, which was a nice after thought, that I intend to keep- on the saved version at the Mac Lab.

I took my inspiration from where we 'get time' in the first place. Time as we know it, being derived from the movements of the cosmosphere. Circles & Sphere's being my favorite shapes... I felt I should give it a feeling of movement. And, it needed wings so it could fly - like my time so often does. That's what I used the 3D extruder on, btw, wings. I liked the effect I got out of it. I alos fell in love with those halos. An amazing effect, thankyou sparks tool. I know this scan doesn't do them justice. Trust me. behind the black face, is a gleaming orb, as brilliant as our own dear sun. This thing originally started as an abstracted pull from JKRowling's Snitches. The fast flying orb in Harry Potter's Quibbage matches. They're so fanciful, elusive, and highly prized. (Worth 150 points whom ever catches the snitch wins the game for their house.) I added the black face because I wanted the time (lines & circle markers) to show up better. I wanted to give the face numbers, but then numbers are limiting - aren't they? And, well, your time is not my time is not their time is not THE time etc... I didn't want to put any limiting factors on this time piece, rather I wanted it to feel expansive.

I played a little, to try to get rid of the dithers, something which goes away almost entirely when you use a dutone filter like "old photo". I liked this effect so I saved a version of it too.

May time forever be on your side, my friends!
Love and (fierce) Hugs,
D.~

(It's Friday. Time is always shorter than what we think it is. Who doesn't want a fierce hug?)




6 comments:

Burfica said...

Man if you could just find someone to manufacute those. I haev seen lots of abstract time pieces that hang in trendy restaurants. You could sell you some and make the bucks baby. hehehehee

Libby said...

dorko-you are SO GOOD at every bit of art i've seen you attempt~! and, correct me if i'm wrong, but you seem like a perfectionist with it! (and that's good!)

NWJR said...

I like it.

NWJR said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jim said...

Dorky

i just been to see Burfica
and i dropped by here to see u


How u doing?
watever u r doing

Azathoth100 said...

Always open to a good fierce hug Dorko. That clock looks awsome! Hope you aced the assignment.

1 Corinthians 12:31

... covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.