Thursday, April 06, 2006

Burnin' down dah trailer...

Little did I know, when I posted the exploded Happy Face last Saturday (April Fool's!) how prophetic the little guy would be...
After posting I:
  • Finished up the housework scheduled for that day.
  • Went into work (@ the college Cafeteria).
  • Helped pack a dozen or so huge roasters, filled with baked beans, sloppy Joe, and cole slaw to the gym, along with brownies for 400, the super huge beverage coolers marked "ice tea" and "lemonade", and all the assorted trappings right down to the latex gloves - all because that's where we were serving din-din - special event, don'cha know? MCC's "Homerun Weekend". We began serving at 6. That, coincidently is the same time that we normally quit serving. (I should have known then it would be a long night) The deal wasn't all that bad. Lots of familiar faces. Live entertainment - a young woman and her guitar playing for her supper so to speak and asking for requests. I leaned in to one young man, a ball player, passing by my section of serving table, (I had the cole-slaw and brownie detail) and said, "Hey! Go up there and tell her we'd like to hear some Frances Scott Key." He says, "Oh. Gee, I'm not sure who that is." I smiled at him - big smile. "He wrote the Star-Spangled Banner," I replied. "Oh!" Was about all he could manage, back to me, and he hurried on to the beverages. *twinkle* Children there seemed to be having fun! I notice one of those go fish booths set up in a corner - the ones where you throw your line over the blue curtain and go fishin' for a prize. Hadn't thought about that experience in decades. Looked to me like there were an awful lot of Troll-dolls living at the bottom of that 'lake'. That's mostly what they were all catching =) . At any rate, packing up and moving equipment from the cafeteria means one thing in the end; packing up and moving everything back - and THEN cleaning up. OY! I was tired.
  • Went back out to home
  • Chatted with Opie
  • Thought, "Gosh, I'm tired... I... should... go... in... to... b....e....d......." That was the last thought before being rudely nudged to consciousness by 1) the cat & 2) this obnoxious noise, behind me and just outside the place - in the drive way by my car... what the ???
  • Pulled up mini-blind to see a Fire Truck(s) with Firemen in the drive, hosing down the trailer house just right south of my house house, said trailer being completely engulfed in flame and merrily burning to da ground!!! 5 a.m. - including the daylight savings time change. Now I'd like to say April Fool's here but I'm not fooling.

See? It made the front page of the local Gazette. Strange weekend, that last one. That suspicious fire (no one living in that trailer - no power even hooked up to it - water lines even, all disconnected...) wasn't the only sensational, and terrible happening. There were a couple more sharing the front page lime-light, too. Jeepers-creepers.

No comments:

1 Corinthians 12:31

... covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.