Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Trashball


NPR comes up with some crazy stuff - (exactly why I like it)!
I found this interesting tid bit under their Arts & Culture tab this past weekend. (CLICK the link and you can listen to the story)
Christopher Goodwin's blog can be found here:
TRASHBALL! A SUBSIDIARY OF EX-COMMUNICATED COMMUNICATIONS, INC.
.
Made me slow down a bit to think: how fascinating, how ironic, too!
Oh, to revisit & really examine what we've throw away -and/or- see something we've deemed useless, close up, from another's perspective - someone like Mr. Good win perhaps...

My packrat Mother once told me to toss an unopened letter from an insurance carrier -she'd let the policy lapse... I pointed out that she'd not even opened the darn thing! She maintained it was trash and of 'no interest' at all, until I torn it open - [saying I was at least going to see what they'd had to say to her]. It was one a good time to be a disobedient child! I found a $230.00 check enclosed. They had refunded her premiums! Boy Howdy! Did her tune change then! Talk about one person's trash being another's treasure! lol! That was cold cash there, people!

Then... the other side of the "coin", so to speak... what kind of garbage do we hang on to - in our homes, and in our lives, that we should really, really pitch?
I mean, I've had ugly little items in my house - even moved them with me (!!?) - from one place to another - that I've absolutely hated. Couldn't stand to even look at them... why then did I keep them?
I've resolved a few years back to stop that. Boy, does it feel good to toss an ugly! I've been working on being "ruthless", when it comes to weeding out bricker-brack & with a packrat Mom, God knows I need to be! (She handed me a sack of "stuff" the other day - that I didn't need, but now have to go through, before I pitch it... because, YOU KNOW, If I try to pitch it before going through it, I'll have that mental flashback to the $230 check incident! LOL!!!)

Humm, some of us maybe inspired to do some Spring Cleaning...
so...
What about you?
You ever trash something you wish you could get back?
or...
You got anything you've been hanging on to - that has absolutely no use or value to you?

=)

3 comments:

Burfica said...

You know i had the mother pack rat, so I've done alot of that. Lately I've decided if we haven't used it in the past year, it goes in the trash or to yard sale.

Gigantors mom is even worse than my mom was. And she constantly gives us boxes and bags of stuff, that I have to wait till gigantor is gone to throw most of it away.

Libby said...

the only thing i'm a 'pack rat' with is all my books!!

Dorko said...

Burfica - *sighs* I think there's a lot more people out there into this kinda thing than what most people realize!
Libby - I can dig the books, Libby... I've always fantasied about having a glorious library in my house!

1 Corinthians 12:31

... covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.