Sunday, January 22, 2006

Sabbath Ps, Please


Today's topic at church: Patience.
(Seems we're going through the P's of the gospel principles this January, as we started off 2006, with some excellent, thought provoking talks on the universal sin of 'Pride')

TODAY: The 1st speaker, on Patience, was a member of my youth Sunday school class. He did a fantastic job for one so young, I was very impressed with his composure, eye contact and easy delivery. He pointed out something in our doctrine and covenants, that also impressed me on the topic, a revelation from the Lord to the saints: "Verily I say unto you my friends, fear not. Let your hearts be comforted; yea, rejoice evermore, and in everything give thanks: Waiting patiently on the Lord. For your prayers have entered into the ears of the Lord of Saboath, and are recorded with his seal and testament - the Lord hath sworn and decreed that they shall be granted. Therefore, He giveth this promise unto you, with an immutable covenant that they shall be fulfilled; and all things where with your have been afflicted shall work together for your good, and to my name's glory, saith the Lord." (end quote.)
.

Last week's (Youth Sunday School) lesson title was "The Creation". I had variant degrees of attention given to me and the subject by my students. Heh. At the very end of the class-time I felt inspired to asign homework. I directed them all to "create something & bring it". :P Today's class was much more paticipatory, shall we say. You can see some of their impromptu art work, I've borrowed to blog about, here. A bunch of impromptu. Yes, as always, some remember, some forget, and those that had, remind those that had not... so along with the food-toons, the hanging squid, little yella banana, Fuzzy, Flower and the Paper Sackman puppet, we had some other, fantastic, creations there - which I could not borrow to bring home to scan. There was an oragami paper you could blow up into a box, we had 2 paper aeroplanes and yes, I had them fly 'em, right there in class! We had a very, very nice model of a (hot rod!) car, and a personal favorite - due to simplicity - a scotchtape wad/ball. We talked about what main catalyst of thought preceeded the creations and it came down to "What can I do?" I explained to them that, living gospel principles they'll be asking that question of themselves quite a bit. I know I do. Something, or someone, someplace, some situation will capture my attention and I'll ask myself, "What can I do?" It might come in service to an employer. I might inspect my yard, or house and think to myself, what can I do and come up with a pleasing decor or landscaping project. Perhaps in the garden I'll have those prompting thoughts that get the creative juices flowing. No money? Invited to a baby shower for someone you adore....? :) Stuff, GOOD stuff, begins to happen. Most especially when you've been dilligently feasting upon positive things, like the words of Christ. Even if the situation is dire. People often take affirmative action, in answering that little question to themselves, and then pouring out that resulting, positive energy back into the world. Today's lesson title was, "Because of my transgression, my eyes are opened". Lots of good participation today from all the youth - and when it came down to the close, boy howdy, could I bare testimony on the subject at hand. Experience, they say, has a way of making one question why it has that reputation of being the best teacher. Why not follow after those things in life, which we all know and can recognize as inheriently good, and to be extremely wary of those things which we can all know and recognize as inheriently bad? Still, bad things happen to good people... that's why it's so important to exercise and strengthen your individual FAITH. Many people out in the world 'believing' in a lot of things. I have a sure testimony, born in the trials of truths, in which I can honestly say, I KNOW. Not just "I believe", but "I know". My afflictions ultimately working together for my good. heh.
.
The last meeting of the day was on Preparedness. I was handed the following quote by James E. Faust and asked to read it when called upon: "It is my testimony that we are facing difficult times. We must be courageously obedient. (I liked that - 'Courageously obedient'!) My witness is that we will be called upon to prove our spiritual stamina, for the days ahead will be filled with affliction and difficulty. But with the assuring comfort of a personal relationship with the Savior, we will be given a calming courage." (end quote.)
Turning to John 14:27 we read the familiar words of encouragement from Christ, "Peace I leave you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."
.
...in closing my post today, I'm feeling impressed to quote, (again!), words from the current President of the Church. In his discourses, President Hinckley has said: "You are loved by your Father in Heaven, of whose divine nature you have partaken... There is something of divinity within each of you... Every one of you was endowed by your Father in Heaven with a tremendous capacity to do good in the world... cultivate the light you have wihtin you, and it will shine through as a radiant expression that will be seen by others... Cultivate whatever talents you have, and they will grow and refine and become an expression of your true self appreciated by others. (end quote.)
.
There's my active, directive for the year, "Cultivate" & "Shine and gleam", in all things - "Shine and gleam".... (my cautionary it seems would be, "Beware of Pride"... gonna need a whole bunch of elbow grease to git r done up right!
Have a bright week everyone!
D. ~

3 comments:

EV said...

Ya know what? This little light of mine - I'm gonna let it shine!

Great post. :)

MomThatsNuts said...

Good for you! I should go to church sometime. Been a long time for me. Ahhhh thats why we have you to keep our spirits bright!!!!!

Mom

Anonymous said...

I love these pieces of art. I could hang stuff like that all over my house!

1 Corinthians 12:31

... covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.