Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Life is good


I saw an article today that I think I'll cut out of the newspaper for my Graphic Design swipe file. The teacher warned us all, again, last night, that we'll be graded on such... and another warning from the Chapter we were reviewing (13! of all things, heh!) ... against looking to advertisers for inspiration. So, that in mind, I'd like to say that while admiring the design here, it's not about swiping their art - not at all; rather it's the philosophy reported on, which I'm seriously drawn to....

The headline "Life is Good" caught my eye. <-(That link goes to the 2005 Pumpkin Festival at their web site. I loved the photos I found living there!)
.
"Do what you like. Like what you do."
.
It's a philosophy that 2 regular, nice guys - John and Bert Jacobs, have embraced in life to become successful in business.
.
Their 2 man mobile T-shirt business has evolved into a 152 person staff in Hudson N.H. (pop. 7,814), nad a 15-person design center on Boston's Newbury Street -- just across from where police used to run the brothers off for peddling shirts without a legal permit.
.
"The media are tremendously focused on what's wrong with our world," Bert says. "Nobody has an opportunity to focus on what's right. You wouldn't think our clothing would be so different than what's out there, but it is. People are drawn to it."
.
(Insert big smile here, & my thought: 'Just like I was to the article about them, no doubt.')
.
Things got even more interesting when notations were made about their teaching background and their determination to "give back".
As soon as profit margin would allow the 2 established a charitable division to raise money for children's causes.
The company created 2 annual outdoor festivals that raise money: Project Joy and Camp Sunshine.
.
Knowing stuff like this is going on in the world just makes your day a little brighter, no?
Put your lights on...
Life IS sooo GOOD!
.
Peace, love, and grapenuts people...
Have a great week!

9 comments:

DLAK said...

Dorko: You are going to freak when you see my doodle today, I swear to God I didnt look at yours first I drew mine a week ago.

Alekx said...

It's always so good to hear of the good things since most news is so depressing.
As I head into my new stressful job I'll need your little tidbits of happiness. But then for years you've always been my ray of sunshine my friend.

Libby said...

Dorko!
Thanks for the Grapenuts! However, today it was my old favorite, Cap'n Crunch....crunchberries!!
BoUnCeS!! LibbY!

Anonymous said...

"Do what u like, Like what u do", datz sooooo hot! LOL, dat actually , made sense, backwardz n forwardz ;-) PEACE

EV said...

There's a lot of good going on everyday, isn't there? Your right, it's smart to focus on those things, too.

DLAK said...

:)

Burfica said...

did somebody say something about food???

Anonymous said...

I loved the pumpkin festival link!!

Unknown said...

grapenuts ??? ... what the heck happen to the cheerios?

~Op~

1 Corinthians 12:31

... covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.