Thursday, May 31, 2007

Opie Outlaw


Peace... Be Still. . .

I have many, many thoughts - yet don't quite know what to say, so I'm praying that the spirit directs my commentary here...


The blogosphere lost a tenacious "cut and paste man" with a true artist's heart...

... and a whole lot of "sparkle" (or was that "Sass"?) for me, at last week's end, with the passing of Opie Outlaw, also known as Op, or you could call him Opie... aka: Locusx1y2... aka Ricky D.... etc... etc... etc... ;-)


I loved this man.

He was a self designated "Huckleberry" to me & I loved him even more for that.


I was wishing & hoping the reason I'd not heard from him over the weekend was that he'd been down to a favorite spot of his, with family and special friend(s) in tow... Harker's Island.


Sadly, I received an e-mail this past Monday evening, sent from his cousin Tony (Saturday the 26 th) - Rick had died the night before.


He was letting me know. He said he had remembered my internet name from an earlier visit with Rick. He wanted me to let all the people on the blogs know. I've caught up with some of you - some other's will see this - some, I feel, I'll just need to track down yet and send a more private message to...


It is pure trial for me, these past few days - my psyche stretched out and purely grieved over all that I'd yet hoped to share with this rare man in my life and... yet joyful, thankful even, that I'd dared to pour out every loving bit that I could - while I could - all over him. . . Thank you God, for your wise direction and... for always, and in all ways, being the well spring between Ricky and me.


You know by now that the portrait here is one I did of Rick. It was a part of my portfolio art showing and also part of a package of items I was gathering to send to him - I have indeed sent those gifts on - to his family... and I've purposely uploaded this picture at a large imaging size (8x11.5 300 dpi) ...it may make my blog slower to load - however any extenuating family member, or friend of Rick's, who'd like to download it for keeps - should be able to get a nice print off of it - Rick never wanted a current photograph of himself posted on the internet. His sister said posting a drawn portrait, now, would be ok.


Reminders of Rick ...and his love - are every where in the world to me right now... Ironically his obituary posted on my birthday ... May 29th... and, that declairs (in part) these things:

He passed away at his home on Saturday, May 26, 2007. Rick was a retired independent trucker who spent the last fourteen years devoted to his father and battling Crohn's Disease. During this time, his spiritual life bloomed and has followed him to journey's end. He was loved and will be missed. The funeral services were to be held today (May 31, 2007).

I opened up my Hymnal this morning. Looking for some solace. . . It opened to this Hymn:


...and even though I don't recall ever placing it there...
There was the scrap of paper I'd jotted down -all the "important information" on. It was all the ways to "contact" Rick, everything he thought I'd ever really need to know and to have to reach him... he insisted I write it all down, the very first time he ever talked to me about going to Harker's Island. ....

Now, I know without a shadow of doubt, nor tunring, that his spirit is only a prayer away from mine... it always has been.

Yes. Indeed, he was loved and will be missed...

God Bless all who pass this way...
Love,
D.

~

8 comments:

Libby said...

God bless you, Dorko, for telling us this! I am so sorry for this, he is a HUGE loss to the many people that knew him! , including you! he helped make many of us strong, & i'll never forget that!
Thank you 'Opie'!

MomThatsNuts said...

I am sooo sorry, I am in tears right now. He was fun and witty and reminded me of my grandfather with his ways. Always made me smile when he left a message on my blog. I am so sorry for your loss. I know he meant alot to you. I am sorry..
I am beside myself. Thank you for letting us know. Dammit sometimes life sucks...

Each life that touches ours for good, reflects thine own great mercy Lord. Thou sendest blessings from above Through words and deeds of those we love.
God Be With You Opie....

Mom

Canadian flake said...

I am so very sorry for your loss. I surely hope when my time comes, I am lucky enough to be as missed as your friend obviously will be. My thoughts and prayers are with you in this time of loss.

doodlebugmom said...

Thank for posting this. I got the news from his neice.

Remember that picture of him and the angel wings? Swore I saved it on my computer, but don't have it anywhere. I do have some others, but thinking about that Angel Opie one makes me smile.

Thanks for posting the portriat, its beautiful. He was a very special man and a dear friend.

Linda

Dorko said...

Libby, Mom, Canadian, Doodlebug...
"God Bless" you is one of the things he'd be saying to us right now if he could - I know that for a fact...
Rick was good at coaxing smiles and tying up heartstrings - another fact I can testify to.
His daddy may be the one needing our prayers right now...
As for that "Angel Opie" Picture it was one of the first I did for him, (well, really I did it for ME & then posted it here - THEN finally sent it on to him, lol!) I was grateful he took it all in stride AND in the playful way I meant him to receive it.
Doodlebug, if you'd like a copy of it go here: Heaven
I know... there's 'serendipity' all over that title... 'butt' then, that's how most everything was between me & the Opie.
We always did commune at a level that was beyond the scope of ordinary...

Burfica said...

He touched alot of lives, on and off the internet. He will be greatly missed, but there is joy in knowing that we will all be seeing him again.

Love you lots girlie!!!

Alekx said...

What a beautiful tribute to a wonderful man.
I've been praying for your and for strength in your time of sorrow.
I'll call soon.
Been trying to catch up on all the house stuff after spending so much time with the sis.
love ya

Dorko said...

Burfica & Alekx,
Thanks for your kind thoughts and prayers.
I love you both - bunches!
I don't know if YOU knew how much Rick enjoyed your seemingly unsinkable spirits!
I know we'll all being seeing him again...

"The joy and the purity of that which he hath given unto me is trancendant ...and without end.
Sacred, Holy, it is my dearest treasure.
It is His love."

"Oh, what a wonderful feeling"

Dorie ~

1 Corinthians 12:31

... covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.