Wednesday, May 16, 2007

How Does Her Garden Grow?


... by the square foot!


My sister sent Me and our Mom on a shopping spree to the "Common Scents" gardening place (handy location - just across the highway from my house) as a special treat for my graduation and for her Mother's Day gift.
We had a good time looking over the beautiful hanging planters - in splendid full bloom, etc..., etc..., etc... plus there was a fussy little ladies "Tea tasting" going on Sunday which we enjoyed, too!

I so wanted one of the full bloom hanging plants - however decided to spare that in favor of some more practicle fare, like strawberry plants (Yep. Got them hanging NOW - lol!) and Tomatoes - which I still ended up splitting out with Mom - and some Purple Sage (2)... I got pleanty of full sun and well drained soil for those bad boys to root around in!

Just as I went to planting I noticed that my trusty trowel had some how made it to the drive and had been totally destroyed by driveway traffic. grrr... miner set back so the strawberries and 1 tomatoe got planted the old, old, old fashioned way - bare handed digging!

Well, sheesh, ya gotta sieze them moments when they're red hot - don't ya?

(I've since been to 'the Wal' and bought another cheepy)

I am hooked on the square foot gardener's philosophy when it comes down to digging in and then watching my garden turn out big dividens! I saw a feature in Better Homes and Garden's magazine a while back that had raised beds - I mean really raised beds - like up 3, 4 feet off the ground that looked like the ideal way to:
1 - foil those rascally rabbits
and
2 - save my aching back and legs from weed "tremmers" ha!

I'm just going to have to condition this back and those legs to endure as raised beds are an investment best made by a home owner - I'm not putting in all that time and expense out just yet - I need to bite the bullet and become the home owner 1st.

Anywhoo... back to my excitement in planting stuff - I wanna get most of it in by the end of the month - I'm already getting a late start by the standards of many more seriously minded area gardeners. The big bonus is the satisfaction and taste of "home grown" aint nothing like it in the
market place, IMHO, and I get the peace of mind factor, knowing that my lettuce is not going to be subject to "recall" because it may be harboring deadly microbes! It's good to know what you're getting - same reason I'm excited about getting back into a regular schedule of sorts - I'm cooking up those fresh meals at home, something I dearly love to do but was too, too pressed for time to enjoy in this last semester's push to graduate! Only thing better than THAT is cooking it up with a special someone in that there kitchen or grill pit with ya... and believe me... I'll be working on that this summer too! =)

Ah!
"Summer"..... "Summmer time, time, time" .... "and the livin's eee easy"........
.
.
.
.
On these summer mornings .... I'mma gonna rise up, rise up, singing - gonna stretch m' wings - and FLY!".... matter of fact, I already am!
(Which explains why I haven't been around the blogosphere much, y'all! Heheheee)
BTW: The 'secret garden' picture is a link to some other coolio garden pix...
Enjoy!
and
Cheerios 2U all!
D.

6 comments:

EV said...

It sounds like you're having a ball. Gardening is so satisfying - and can be relaxing, too. I'm with you; I love it!

Burfica said...

OH my gosh that sounds so cool. I have a few more things to plant. I haven't planted them all, because we have been so busy working on the other place too.

Libby said...

oh, that looks lke a beautiful place, with all the baskets! and..i bet i know where you're going on vacation this summer, right? heh! enjoy it, you both truly deserve this!

Canadian flake said...

I am jealous of gardeners because I have the brownest thumb ever made..lmao.

Mia said...

OMG those are awesome shots.

Dorko said...

Mike, =)
Burfica, try this square foot method - seriously.
Libby, Thanks!
Canadian Flake, now, now, little practice, some H2O, some miracle grow...
Miranda! Sorry I've not visited in soooo long - & thanks!

1 Corinthians 12:31

... covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.