Monday, June 18, 2007

Family Ties...

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

.
.
.
.

Ah.
Family. =)
My Mother has been all a flutter over the approach of this past weekend for quite sometime.
The youngest of my living, Great-Aunts was coming to town for a visit, with her daughter, over this 'Father's Day' weekend.
Quite a remarkable few of the extenuating family members were also gathering.
Several of us have been murmering for some time that we've been long over due for a "reunion".
I warmed slowly to the concept - because I've been so busy collecting my thoughts and all the needful data for what's next for me. (a shot at my Bachelor's degree) not because I don't love my family - believe me, I've been blessed! Most especially by the ones that went the distance and attended this time - all good natured souls - they are great people! Funny, without having to try too hard to be.... you know? Once I got there - I had a wonderful time! Yesterday especially, watching over some old slides put onto VHS tape and narrated by this Great-Aunt was a 'whoot'! She did an excellent job (amazing, really when it came to remembering names!) and those side story narrations - some of those were just a kill. Most especially because, she wasn't necessarily trying to be funny, however, I laughed and laughed - at just the way some of it came together for her, and for those of us, watching it through this time.
We all laugh so easily... we all like the idea of sharing a good meal together, (o.my.golly. there was a ton of food there!).
There's a growing interest in the gathering of the family geneology, too.
We're thinking in terms of both stories and photos, both historical, and the latest information on 'new arrivals', and archiving as much as we can in 'IT formats' to share universally.
Several have been seriously working on it and doing an astounding job.
(I did my best to straighten out the mis-information on just who my brother-in-law is, lol! Information on one family group sheet had my sister married off to one of her former boyfriends... hehehee.)
I'm not prepared just now for this, but one day....
I have visions of "story boarding" on the foundations already laid and making DVDs and or manuscripts/books that put the photos and stories in to contextes that generations not yet conceived will be able to have and enjoy having - I'd love to capture a little bit of the magic that is our good family fellowship - that which my generation has enjoyed and send it on... up the ol' DNA ladder.

Love and love s'more people....
D.




9 comments:

Burfica said...

That sounds like a blast. I was lucky with some of mom's old photo's that she didn't write on. My uncle knew who some of the people were, and of all people so did my mother in law, cuz she lived in the same small town as mom.

Filled in some much needed gaps.

doodlebugmom said...

"sister married off to one of her former boyfriends... "funny.

Almost as bad as my second cousin coming up to my husband and I on OUR WEDDING DAY.. saying "He isn't the one you brought home last time!" Believe me, if I could have crawled under all that crinoline, I would have! :o)


Family reunions are always fun, cept I usually end up sitting and talking to my brother all day.

Canadian flake said...

sounds like you had a blast. Glad it went well for you.

Dorko said...

Burfica - we think we'll remember "forever" then either our memory fritzes out or we do! Best to get dates, names and special comments down as soon as possible. It's especially good to have people who can help, too!

Doodlebugmom - That particular "bf" was what I like to refer to as a dating "LAPS" (as in lapse in good judgement), when all was said and done he'd shaped up to be a: Lying, Alcoholic, Parasite, Slut....
=)
You can see why I had a burning desire to get HIM off the roll-call!

Canadian - thanks!

The Unknown said...

Wee Hee!
love

Libby said...

this is going to be a lot of work...with a lot of fun & laughter!!

Dorko said...

Unknown - =)

Libby - work aint that much work if you got them other 2 things you mentioned! lol...

Alekx said...

One of the House Elf's uncles is doing the whole family tree thing. Unfortunatly for the house elf most of those people are relatives and not family. If you know what I mean.
I'm loving my Macintosh for putting together of DVD's like the one done for mom's memorial.
And I ain't schooled in that artsy stuff. You know me, no talent in art. :-)
Hugs

Dorko said...

Alekx - someday those relation might make some moves toward family and if they never do, well count it all as blessings - A?
and HELLOOO!???
You've got boo-coo talent in all the right places, most especially when it comes to the family thing.
Ya got the heart and the know-how-knack for grrreat storytelling. (Burfica's got it bad, too!)
You draw me close and crack me up all at once when you all get goin'
(Not everyone can do THAT!)
Sweet?
Sweet!!!

1 Corinthians 12:31

... covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.