Monday, April 11, 2005

This I believe

I believe, dear ones, that we've officially been baptized into sever weather season as of last night. ...U Betcha! ...And what a rootin' tootin' wild and wind swept evening it was, too!

Skys fade to a foreboding, dank and darkening blue. The smallest of clouding white fluffs, light out before it, seeking shelter or escape from the gusty winds, lightening and his old dog, thunder. He is the one who makes my granddogger shake and whimper, whine and moan and try to hide her head under the chair. Alas, those innocent white clouds, running, quickly enough, perhaps, accross the breadth of this Prarire land - but they can not hide. They never think of that.
Lickety split, the storm was upon us, waving and shooting her quick silver bullets into the highway's pavement, into the ditches and the farmer's fields and into my newly tilled garden spot.
This first wave is short and sweetening to the delight of the starlings who are sporting in the raw earth of the freshly broken sod. Birds of prey, taking no prisoners amongst the night crawler crowds, dancing in the dirt and rain.
CRACK! Lightening whips and snakes from heaven to hell and all is dark and all is still for the next 5 beats of my heart. Then the blessings of that marvelous power, harnessed, is restored and electricity is once again obedient and comforting and welcomed back home again.

Oh. Truckit. So much for romancing the storm... it got much much worse. Luckily I was north and west of the many tornados and so got to ride it out above ground - this time. I'm going to like having a basement just in case. I imagine me and the dogger will be spending most of our summer nights hole up downstairs.

I have noticed many of you people out here in the wastelands of Bloggerville have a talent for writing. NPR is begining a new series and they are looking for YOU! NPR is calling it: This I belive. If you have an opinion, and I KNOW that you ALL do, and you compose an essay for them you just might end up on the radio. Cool Beans?

6 comments:

Burfica said...

Wow, I hate it when the lightning strikes right outside our house, on the street. does that quite often in the past few years. I like the idea of a hidey hole in the basement. guess I better get diggin

Alekx said...

We in our neighborhood seem to have this triangle thing going. Our yard and 2 other people in the house areas We each get struck by lightening once or twice a season.
Good golly, I'm hoping that it doesn't hit right on the house and just stays in the back yard, blowing fuses and other electronic equipment and not setting the house on fire.
Burf you nervous about comeing out here yet
hehehehehe

kitten said...

i saw your weather report on the weather cahnnel. I watch it, because I am boring like that. I couldnt believe the snow in CO either....creepy. My hubby is always saying something big is coming ..(like what?) you can tell by the weather...but then again....hes a man..what do they know? he he h have a great day, D.

Dorko said...

I couldn't believe I woke up to snow Monday morning either! It was just in bits - collected up against tree roots, clumped by wind breaks and what not. I kept thinking how good it was of me NOT to be farting around on line when it all came in! :)

Azathoth100 said...

I love storms, but have learned to respect thier power as well. I LOVE how you wrote about it too. You Rock Dorko!

Unknown said...

I would love to truckit!!!

Op~

1 Corinthians 12:31

... covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.