Monday, April 18, 2005

Grandma's Blushing

I just mixed this up this morning.
A man named Bob Ray died.
They asked me to fix a dessert for the funeral diner they'd have for his family.
I took this Blushing Betty & some Banana Bars.
I forgot how super E-Z this was to fix and with summer coming on some of you might need a good rhubarb recipe:

Grandma's Blushing Betty

9x13 pan:
4 C rhubarb
2 & 2/3 C sugar
1 C raisins
4 T shortening
2 eggs
2 C flour
3 t. baking powder
½ t. salt
2/3 C milk
1 t. vanilla

Wash rhubarb (do not peel) & cut into pieces and mix with 2 cups of sugar.
Place in a greased baking dish.
Add the raisins.

Meanwhile cream together the shortening with the remaining amounts of sugar and eggs.
Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together – add alternately with milk to the creamed sugar and eggs mixture.
Add vanilla.

Spread the batter over the fruit and bake for 1 hour in a 350º oven.

Serve with a whip cream topping or homemade vanilla ice cream.
Bob Ray was a pit-bull-drill-sargent, tough-old-bird kind of a man, but on the inside, I got the feeling he was much more of a tender-little-lotus-blossum, =) and I told him so, too!
(sweet and sour, just like this recipe)
He liked to greet folks by saying, "I heard what YOU did, last week."
(I like that kind of honery)
Rest in Peace, Bob Ray.
You served here, long and well.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I've never had "B-Betty"...well...aahh...I'll get back with you no this...lol

I'm trying to do better...I've been slipping some lately..but just want ya to know..finding your blog has lifted me...really...now wait.....I mean that in a very good way..........man...I'll have to get back with you on this too!

is it ok to email ya?

Op~

Dorko said...

e-mail to your heart's delight, Opie O.

(I've always had a thing for southern men and with you talkin' all 35% Dixie...grins, how could I NOT want to hear from U?)

I'm glad coming here was a "lift" for you. I know what you mean, dear one, it took me 36 years to look up the word: "edify"

Unknown said...

Hey..you makin' fun already!

MAN!

What's a counrty boy to do!

Op~

Burfica said...

I have never ever made anything or eaten rhubarb. I'm curious how it tastes.

Azathoth100 said...

Damn your a great cook! I used to cook, when I had someone to cook for. Now that I just cook for me it's back to ramen noodles, hot dogs, eggs, and stove top in a can.

Unknown said...

Does ham hocks come with that?

Op~

Jim said...

DAMN !
the elections have been rigged in favor of germany
india won !
i demand a re-count !

new pope is a cheat !

Jim said...

and heyy dork,
wont tell u wat KLPD means
i want to be yr friend

its a lott worse than hello- goood bye

we indians can teach u guys how to cuss real good

Unknown said...

saby is barking up wrong tree now..came to my site and post bad words about me...saby..be careful..you barking up wrong tree now!

Mia said...

Omg...that sounds soo good. I'll have to try that.

Thanks for dropping by, and the kind words.

1 Corinthians 12:31

... covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.