Saturday, April 14, 2007

"The Pestige" 2006

.
.
.

With little time to watch such and no time to explain it to them, my brother and nieces dropped a load of rental DVDs into my hands and sped off towards the established child exchange point – a day early, trying to out drive the storm – before the storm even hit us.

Smart move on anyone’s part, let alone, anyone living in Nebraska, facing such severe weather forecasts which always mark these, our magnificent, turbulent, jubilant springs!

I heard one niece is expressing interest in a career in the FBI – and this is the one that couldn’t say enough good things recommending the above movie, “The Prestige”, to me a minimum of, like, 3 times…. =)

A bit of my heart went with them… as it normally does, each time I must face off the departure of dear ones. I was at once disappointed that our ‘Girl’s Luncheon’ had been pre-empted by the incoming menacing weather and happy they’d been able to come at all. We’d almost had ‘an even dozen’ at my place for the holiday last weekend…. Love, laughter, a little bit of learning, and a bunch of good food – adding strength to those family ties.

I was so tired, finishing up a double run of reports last night, at work. I am desperate over the thought of any hindrance to the schoolwork I need to complete right now. I am truly hoping I am not coming down with a light case of walking pneumonia. (<- this is my mantra of the day today!) and thinking back to last night…. I was thanking my lucky stars on the drive home, that the snow fall, which had been as near perfect as any I’d ever witnessed, with it’s large fluffy flakes, falling lazy-like, down from the sky… that this terrible storm had steadily depreciated in estimates in each sequential forecast throughout the day (1st: 10 to 12 inches!, Next: 8 to 10 inches! Thereafter: up to 6 – 7 inches! 4-6! So on and so forth… reminded me of a rather raunchy comedy bit I’d seen one time out on the California coast, butt… that would be a whole ‘nuther post! heh.) By my late, drive time home, last night, we’d seen a bunch of moisture – another desperate, needful thing in these parts – and absolutely no accumulation. Magical.


Which brings me back to “The Prestige” – it was an interesting film. (yep. Watched it. Tired. Spent, really. Not feeling too good. I reasoned that the movie would be a welcome deviation and momentary escape – my gamble paid off, too.) I liked it. Magic, trickery, mystery, artistry, and some science, with ending twists I certainly enjoyed.


Christian Bale, Hugh Jackman, Scarlett Johansson, Michael Caine play out well, here and I scarcely recognized David Bowie in his portrayal of Nikola Tesla…

Not for the 13 and under crowd, (there’s a couple death scenes not good for little kids, I think) however, if you’ve an interest in something thought provoking and a bit twisty and haven’t viewed this one yet – you might give it a spin in the ol’ DVD player.

I’ll not be posting much between now and graduation.
Nevertheless...
Cheerios 2U - all!
=)
D.~

7 comments:

Libby said...

dorko-good luck & blessings on all you do between now & when you come back to us! stuff here is now starting to look up, hopefully!

DLAK said...

XOXOXO, Good luck Dorko, you deserve it.

Unknown said...

Good luck Shugger..“The Prestige” is on my list to watch also..along with a bunch more..where does the time go anymore? Take care!

GOD bless
Op~

Burfica said...

Captain Daddy bought the prestige and brought it over for us to watch. He said it didn't make sense to him. So...I haven't watched it yet. Hoping to get time soon to watch it.

And snow?????? would you thunk me if I told you we been running the cooler on low, even at night? hehehehe

*ducks the lamp thrown at head*

Alekx said...

Graduation. There is a word that 10 years ago we thought would never go into one of our portfolios.
Proud of you my friend.
Love ya

Dorko said...

Thanks everyone!

=)

Canadian flake said...

hang in there and good luck to graduation..and someone smack fica for bragging about her weather please?? LOL

1 Corinthians 12:31

... covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.